Cognitive and Experimental Psychology. Prof Incharge Guidance and Counseling
Designation and Subjects Taught
Professor , SHSS; Professor In-charge Career Guidance and Personal Counselling cell
Experimental Psychology, Physiological Psychology, Statistics and Research Methods in Psychology, Psychometrics, Cognitive Psychology, Psychopathology, Psychological Assessment for MA Psychology students; Introduction to Psychology: UG students ( BE) ; Engineering Psychology : UG Students(BE) ; Artificial Intelligence: PG Students (MCA) ; Behavioral Sciences: UG Students (BE) ; Organizational Behavior: UG Students BE) ; Cognitive Psychology and its applications- M.Phil students ; Human development and Psychopathology- M. Phil students; Guidance and Counseling-- M. Phil students ; Applied Behavioral Sciences – PhD students
- Personal and Familial Handed ness and performance on spatial abilityTasksRef No.SP/YS/ MO5/88), Sponsoring Agency : DST, Duration : 1990-92, Status : Completed
- Masculinity- Femininity: A life span developmental approach (Ref.No1-55/95 RP-II), Sponsoring Agency : ICSSR, Duration : 1994-95, Status : Completed
- Educational implications of sex and age differences in spatial ability and hemispheric specialization (Ref.No.F5-94/95), Sponsoring Agency : UGC, Duration : 1996-98, Status : Completed
- Accuracy in arm positioning as a function of handedness and time sense (minor Project), Sponsoring Agency : UGC, Duration : 1996-97, Status : Completed
- Hemispheric specialization for motor skills: Effect lateralization, handedness and sex. (Ref No. SP/SO/BO8/97), Sponsoring Agency : DST, Duration : 1997-99 , Status : Completed
- Speed of information processing , intelligence and creativity(minor project ), Sponsoring Agency : UGC , Duration : 2000-2001, Status : Completed
- Time course in Stroop effect: An experimental investigation in cognitive microgenesis (Ref. No.SP/SO/B38/2000), Sponsoring Agency : DST, Duration : 2001-2003, Status : Completed
- Effects of extended video stimulation on visual cognition (Ref.No.SP/SO/B48/2001), Sponsoring Agency : DST , Duration : 2004-2006, Status : Completed
- An experimental Investigation of the Psychological determinants of Financial decision making: A prospect theory approach, Sponsoring Agency: ICSSR, Duration: 2013-2015, Status: Completed.
- Project In pipeline: Development of intelligent system for emotion recognition: Speech and micro-expression., Submitted to DST, Awaiting the call for presentation.
Membership of Professional Institutions, Associations, Societies
- Member ,American Psychological Association (APA)
- Member , International Association of Applied Psychology IAAP
Publications and other Research Outputs
- Berring, L., Santha Kumari, & Ahuja, S. (2017) Impact of personality traits and personal values on curriculum choice of young adults. Journal of Beliefs & Values, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13 617672.2017.1293930
- Soni A., Santha Kumari (2015). The Role of Parental Math Anxiety and Math Attitude in Their Children’s Math Achievement. International Journal of Science and mathematics Education. DOI 10.1007/s10763-015-9687-5
- Arora, M., Santha Kumari (2016). Self-Esteem as Determinant of Investors' Stock Market Participation: Mediating Role of Risk Preferences and Behavioral Biases, Psychologia, 58(3), 115-126.
- Santha Kumari (2003). Comparing adolescent and middle-age groups on spatial task performance: A developmental differentiation approach, Psychologia, 46, 54-61.
- Santha Kumari, Kurian,G.(1997). Handedness, familial sinistrality, & spatial task performance, Psychologia, 40, 22-28.
- Santha Kumari,K., Kurian,G. & Rao,V.K. (1994) .Cross-gender identity, familial non-right-handedness, and hand preference. Psychologia, 37,34-38
- Kurian,G.& Santha Kumari,K(1994). Effect of sex & familial sinistrality on handedness. Psychologia, 37, 30-33.
- Kurian G., Sharma, N.K.& Santha Kumari (1989). Left-arm dominance in active positioning. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 68, 1312-1314.
- 1.Arora, M.& Santha Kumari (2015).Risk Taking in Financial Decisions as a Function of Age, Gender: Mediating Role of Loss Aversion and Regret, International Journal of Applied Psychology, 20, 5(4): 83- 89.
- Soni, A. & Santha Kumari (2015). The Role of Parental Math Attitude in Their Children Math Achievement, International Journal of Applied Sociology, 5(4), 159-163.
- Santha Kumari & Ahuja,S.(2010). Video Viewing and Cognitive Development in Preadolescents, Social Science Computer Review, 28(2), 15-21.
- Ahuja, S & Santha Kumari (2009). Prolonged video viewing and emotional intelligence: an experimental investigation among preadolescents, Europe’s Journal of Psychology. DOI www.ejop.org
- Ahuja, S. & Santha Kumari (2008). Impact of extended video viewing on emotional stability among preadolescents, Psychological Studies, 53, 294-297.
- Santha Kumari (2000). Cross gender identity and spatial task performance, International Journal of Psychology, 35, 394.
- Kurian,G., Sharma, N.K. & Santha Kumari (1987). Cognitive strategies in KBDT performance, Psychological Studies, 32, 29-32.
- Santha Kumari, Sharma, N.K (1988). Lateralization of function in the human brain, Psychological studies, 18, 56-60.
- Santha Kumari, Kurian, G. & Sharma, N.K. (1988). Cognition in women, Psycho-Lingua, 18, 59-66.
- Santha Kumari, Sharma, N.K. (1989). Hemispheric involvement in field articulation, Psychological Studies, 32, 17-22.
- Kurian, G., Santha Kumari (1990). Consciousness and the left hemisphere, Journal of Indian Psychology, 8, 33-36.
- Kurian,G., Santha Kumari (1991). Femininity & Cross-gender identity, Psychological Studies, 36, 70-72.
Deion of Research Interests
- Currently working in the area of Emotion recognition; Night vision ; Hemispheric specialization; Maths Anxiety; Behavioral Finance; Value orientation; Narcissistic personality.
- Presented papers in the various international conferences (Total: 11).
- Supervised PhD candidates (Awarded: 3, Ongoing: 2).
- Delivered invited lecturer on Biological basis of sexual orientation and sex typical behaviour, North Dakota, USA.
- Participated in the Embedding Entrepreneurship in engineering Education program at University of Groningen, Netherlands.
- Carried out Consultancy Project which includes testing of Personality, Intelligence, Memory, Differential aptitudes, Social skills training, Language dimensions , Emotional intelligence, Moral reasoning etc. This Programme was started in 1997 and runs throughout the year. The assessment procedures and guidance programme are fine-tuned to suit individual requirements and linking them to career plans, aspirations, achievement levels and educational and socio-economic status. And intelligence and memory testing for patients referred from Psychiatry department, Government Medical College Hospital, Patiala, India